XLence Curriculum Development Evidence
XLence Curriculum Development Evidence provides deep dive style forms to gather evidence on how well a curriculum area is doing. The information is gathered from a range of activities (lesson visits, curriculum leader/teacher/pupil discussions, planning reviews, book scrutinies, etc).
A structured approach to curriculum development
Increasingly schools are taking the view that the old approach of isolated monitoring exercises, such as lesson observations and book trawls around individual members of staff are too abstract and do not consider the whole picture of a pupil’s education. A broader and developmental approach to curriculum and individual review and improvement is gathering popularity.
The XLence Curriculum Development Toolkit gathers information from a range of quality assurance activities in order to take a rounded and robust look at the education pupils are receiving. Each review may be structured differently and may draw on one or more of the following forms:
- Lesson visit/learning walk/observation
- Work scrutiny
- Subject leader questionnaire
- Planning scrutiny
- Staff questionnaire
- Pupil questionnaire
- are well structured and fit together into a ready to use toolkit;
- are consistent and framed around the same review areas (Curriculum Design – planning, Curriculum Delivery – teaching and assessment, Pupil Outcomes, Behaviour & Attitudes, Personal Development and Leadership) with the 34 key areas of focus (e.g. questioning, pupil expectation, etc);
- consider and include sections on remote/blended learning;
- are assessed against a common evaluation structure (High Impact, Secure Impact, Requires Further Development);
- are manageable in size and complexity.
The lesson visit, work scrutiny and planning scrutiny forms are supported by prompts for what High Impact, Secure Impact and Requires Further Development might look like across the 34 key areas of focus. This provides the perfect scaffolding to help develop practice within the teaching body.
An example of our lesson visit form in use on the online system can be seen in the three screenshots to the right.